Now here is my edition, reflecting on 10 years living in the town!
- Oakland has just about every kind of food you can imagine somewhere….and most neighborhoods have most varieties of foods available
- You can meet someone from almost any part of the world here in Oakland, if you put in a little effort
- Just when you think the city is laid out on a grid, you’ll notice there are some very bizarre inconsistencies
- 14th Avenue and 14th Street are nowhere near each other
- The person who decided the placement of the freeway exits and on-ramps was probably smoking something that requires a medical card
- Getting to downtown SF from most of Oakland is actually faster than it is from most of SF: via transit or driving
- Oakland has amazing Art Deco architecture all over town
- The more mixed the housing types are in a neighborhood, the more mixed the residents.
- There is a lake in the middle of the city, and it is everyone’s unofficial backyard
- There is a redwood forest in the middle of the city, only about a 15 minute drive from downtown
- People love Oakland for the weather, diversity, DIY spirit, and hometown pride (and don’t want to leave)
What is on your list?